Just the sound of "Badlands" already gives me some sort of glimpse of a slight chill that was clearly shielded by my overall Maturity. It sounds like some sort of Post-Apocalyptic area. There is a game called "BorderLands" that is post-apocalyptic. But "Badlands" takes the trophy.
I've always thought in my head that a landfill is definitely a financial investment, even if they don't charge their "customers" for picking up their trash. First off, most trash will eventually become some sort of marketable fuel. And I'm guessing with enough pressure, we can turn trash into useful fuel in no time, but this nothing knew. But I've never actually seen that put to work, until I went to Badlands Landfill, they use the methane from trash for Marketable energy which they use to power their own facilities, and they sell the rest to Edison. In that light, I really don't understand why people would pay someone else to take their trash.
When I first heard about the field trip to the Landfill, I thought we were going mainly to see where all our trash "ends up"; in effect maybe a few of us would be willing to reduce our waste levels. But when I got there I saw that there was more to this. This place uses the methane from the trash, they recycle all of the scrap metal that they can, and they pretty much recycle everything they can. Maybe it's because of regulation, but they also care about the birds, hovering above, implement a horn to scare them off, and research a horn that gives the sound of a predator to make them scatter.
No comments:
Post a Comment