I really don't produce much waste in the way of measurable, "trash". I use BPA Free, refillable water bottles. And we Americans would accomplish SO MUCH IF we were to eliminate the practice of drinking water in cheap disposable plastic, and replaced it with some Stainless Steal or something. A lot of people already do that, noticing the economic benefits as well. Bag Or Plastic? I say, "No Bag, Please". And I trust that my Bank Accounts keep a clean, well detailed record of my purchases and transactions so that I don't have to throw away receipts. E-Mail, and "paperless" Communication helps keep things Tidy, Plus I'm more of an E-Mail person. Payment Reminders, Electronic Statements, are also beneficial; I mean, half the time I don't even open the Hard Copy Mail that is sent to me. Keeping a Record of what I've wasted over the Course of three Days; Here's what I got -- BUT First, how I kept track. The Rule was to Make note of everything I dispose of, and either goes into a trash can or a Recyclable Bin.
First Set of 3 days: 7 Tissues, 11 Disposable Plates, 40 Sheets of Hygienic Paper, 12 Napkins, 4 Disposable Cups, 1 Q-Tip, 6 disposable spoons. This List is excluding some packaging Items, because I didn't throw that stuff away, but if I were to divide the weight evenly by the number of Individuals that the Packaged items were divided amongst then it would be about 1/4 of a Pound. None of which were recyclables, or reusable.
On a regular day, but not on those 3 days, I probably would've used at least 1 plastic sandwich bag. I can reduce that by using non-disposable containers.
The Next 3 days, I started using more reusables such as regular dinner plates, I also gave in to a special remedy to alleviate my illness which made way for using NO facial tissue at all, I also cleaned my room, which helped me as well, but the Dust was also waste that I threw away. I stopped putting band-aids on my hands as soon as the cuts were healed.
So in the Next 3 days, I managed to waste about: 9 Band-Aids and their packaging, about 2 square feet of restroom Paper Towels, 43 sheets of Hygienic paper. The Dust I threw away came about to be 48 Cubic Inches (Dyson putting in Work). 2 Whole Orange Peels, 4 Banana Peels, 3 Napkins, 2 disposable spoons. The Peels were Biodegradable, and that will give you a hint as to where they went.
And Normally there would be something coming in a Box for me, at least once a week, but those 6 days, nothing. I can see, how maybe I can group Items more together, so as to arrive in less Boxes, that I will start and try to continue.
Nice blog; very specific.
ReplyDeletenice blog; very specific.
ReplyDelete