I went out to Heritage park located in
Jurupa Valley. The City of Jurupa Valley used to be a part of
Riverside City, but it separated, but it is still part of Riverside
County. After taking a few pictures of what I saw, I took a seat and
zoned in on the things I could observe from that one seat. Heritage
Park was the first place that came to mind, when this blog was
assigned. I've met with friends here, rollerbladed here, exercised
here, but I've never went beyond to explore it's “back door”. I
hiked for a long while, then right after I took a seat and observed
what was in my immediate sphere.
Here is a list of the abiotic things
that I observed: rocks, dirt, trash, strong wind, mountains, hills,
Traffic/freeway noise, holes, bricks, concrete, sun, Nitrogen,
Oxygen, Carbon Dioxide, blue skies, clouds, cars. Of the biotic
things I observed: squirrels, cactus, bees, grasshoppers, trees,
flies, lizards, plants, spiderwebs, butterflies, birds, processed
wood(trash), sunflowers, Fallen dead leaves, grass. The hole were my
favorite; probably mole rats, squirrels, or gophers; but definitely
some kind of biotic thing. The wind pushed down the leaves, I
noticed, all while the dirt is absorbing the nutrients of those dead
leaves and the toxins of the human waste. The trees absorbing the
carbon dioxide of the Cars driving by, supplying me with enough
oxygen to breathe. The lizards eat the flies, the bees pollinate the
plants. All in all, while the sun warms me and energizes everything
around me. This was a touching experience for me.
The heritage park was dedicated to the
Community of Jurupa Valley, mainly the individuals in the Glen Avon
area for working together as a whole to defend their community from
environmental hazards. Years ago, many businesses decided to dump as
much battery acid waste as possible in a Reserve located in Jurupa
Valley. This became a common dump site for businesses all over the
country. This was an environmental hazard for everyone living in the
area, it even contaminated the water supply. To make a long, mournful
story short; eventually the Community joined together and forced the
government into submission to give justice to the people of the Glen
Avon Community. Even though I don't live exactly in the Glen Avon
community, it was still in the General Jurupa Valley area. I was very
upset when I first heard of this incident, but I was glad that the
Members of the Community joined together and fought until Justice was
dealt. To this day the dump site remains contaminated. Riverside
seems to absorb all of the countries waste for some reason; it's one
of the most polluted areas in the World. Growing up in Riverside has
given me a strong passion to pursue Environmental Justice all around
the world. I am glad to have been born in Riverside; otherwise, I
might not have been so passionate about the environmental issues our
world faces today.
Seeing trash in the Heritage Park gave
me some sort of uneasiness, given that it's supposed to symbolize
both synergy and environmental justice.
I've uploaded pictures below.
I like all the pictures you took of Heritage Park, they really help to show what the area looked like and all the plant life that was around, it's unfortunate to hear the environmental history around the park is so bad, but it's good to know that it has pushed you to take an interest in environmental issues.
ReplyDeleteIt is interesting, I feel so enjoyable to read these paragraphs, thank you for sharing those experiences!
ReplyDelete